Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi is addressing students of the prestigious University of California, Berkley on ‘India at 70: Reflections on the Path Forward’, in which he will offer his reflections on contemporary India and the path forward for the world’s largest democracy. The Congress leader is on a two-week visit to the US. Mr Gandhi will interact with global thinkers and political leaders, and address overseas Indians as part of an outreach initiative by his party.
Here are the highlights of Rahul Gandhi’s speech:
- Everybody knows that so much has gone wrong in the political system
- India is a massive country and is also one of the most complex countries. Everyone who thinks he/she knows India faces surprises every once in a while…. She keeps throwing new surprises
- My great grandfather came here and gave a speech… and I thank you for inviting me here
- Idea of non violence or ahimsa is what has allowed this mass of people(India) to rise together
- There is no democratic country in history which has raised so many people out of poverty as India
- It is a place where an individual doesn’t have an idea, instead, an idea has an individual
- At one point of time, many felt that India was destined to fail… but India moves ahead, strong.
- As Indira Gandhi was asked whether India will switch ‘Left or Right’. She said it will stand straight and tall
- When Rajiv Gandhi and Sam Pitroda spoke about the idea of computers in India, people laughed and ridiculed them
- Why do we need computers, we were asked
- In fact, a BJP leader who went on to become Prime Minister later said, Why does a country like India need computers?