New Delhi: Railways Minister Piyush Goyal is addressing at the India Mobile Congress in New Delhi. Apart from Mr Goyal, the three-day event is being attended by communications minister Manoj Sinha, law and IT minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, among others. The India Mobile Congress is the first ever mobile, Internet and technology event in India and is designed to be along similar lines as the Mobile World Congress (MWC) that is held each year in Barcelona, Spain. The event is not affiliated with GSMA, the body that organises the MWC and satellite events across the world, but has been put together by Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI), a group that represents most of India’s leading telcos.
Here are the highlights of Railway Minister Piyush Goyal speech at the India Mobile Congress:
- Our lives are revolving around mobile phones
- Great opportunity for start ups to integrate technology and public services
- Railways was one of the early users of computers in the country. We used in the late 1960s, while banking embraced it around 1990s
- India has demonstrated leadership in mobile
- We are working with Google to bring 400 railway stations Wi-Fi connected
- We are looking at ways to help rural India avail benefits of digital age